Monday 2 April 2012

Get Your House In Order - the King is coming

In biblical times, the regional custom called for kings and nobles arriving in procession to ride on the back of a donkey. The donkey was a symbol of peace; those who rode upon them proclaimed peaceful intentions. The laying of palm branches indicated that the king or dignitary was arriving in victory or triumph.

I never knew this. So here is Jesus, proclaiming his Kingship and the crowds agree. All through the next passages Jesus displays His authority, in the temple, cursing the fig tree, and through prophetic teachings of the cornerstone.

And the underlying theme is if you don't bear fruit and repent then you are lost, no matter if you profess to believe or not.

So Jesus says - get your house in order. Acknowledge my kingship and authority, change your ways now. Don't just give me lip service but actually go out and live it. Don't put yourself before me for I have provided you everything. Don't covet my place as rightful heir to what I have asked you to tend for me. And beware of where your selfishness might lead you if you - never think about the Lord
or notice what he is doing. Is 5v12.

But take heart, follow my ways and -

...listen to the Lord who created you.
O Israel, the one who formed you says,
“Do not be afraid, for I have ransomed you.
I have called you by name; you are mine.
2 When you go through deep waters,
I will be with you.
When you go through rivers of difficulty,
you will not drown.
When you walk through the fire of oppression,
you will not be burned up;
the flames will not consume you.
3 For I am the Lord, your God,
the Holy One of Israel, your Saviour.
Is 43

No comments:

Post a Comment