Saturday 7 April 2012

God humbled Himself

We’ve seen the disciples on the road to Jerusalem arguing over just who was greatest among them.  Then in the upper-room, even after Jesus so clearly taught them how desirable, how Kingdom-ish humility is, even the humility of a child, these same Jesus followers still withheld humility from one another…clinging stubbornly to their arrogance, not one humbled himself enough at their last supper to bring alongside that bowl of water and wash the other’s feet.  We’ve heard them scuffling, pushing themselves to the front, “I will never, never, never deny You Jesus…maybe the others will, but no not me!”  And in all this, we see ourselves, I see myself as in a mirror and the reflections expose my heart…I am so sorry Lord.

Then on the cross, one of His last acts, having been humiliated beyond humiliation, lied about, treated with contempt by the very people He loved and taught in the temple, beaten, stripped, mocked, held down, shamed by a cross…He drank from their sponge of sour wine.

It was at a Roman museum in Galashiels I heard the presenter tell the children that the Roman soldiers carried weapons with them every where they went…was it a broadsword? And they carried a little mug to drink from.  And someone was always tasked to bring along sour vinegar and a sponge on a stick…that was instead of toilet paper.  Is this the same sponge Jesus chose to drank from, a final act of humiliation?

I’ve mentioned this to someone who was adamant…no ways would Jesus have given His executioners the pleasure of receiving such humiliation…but I wonder because I see Jesus, I see my God as the essence of humility.

Lord Jesus, that I as Your disciple might please be like You.

Brian   

1 comment:

  1. It was a short sword that the Romans used for fighting. The Roman army was famed for working together, in tight formation. A short sword was necessary in this type of environment - you didn't want to maim your friends. The broadsword is an individual's sword. In one to one combat. This is what the Brittons used and would have been better for guerilla warfare, which is what the northern Scots carried out with the Romans. I wonder if the word for sword used in the bible pertaining to the spiritual weapon distinguishes a particular type and whether we can learn anything from this?

    ReplyDelete