Wednesday 7 March 2012

Good Intentions

As we read about Herod it is clear that we are meant to realise that vows are serious things. That something that begins as seemingly harmless, based on good intentions, can go horribly wrong. The bible constantly reminds us that making promises is not something to be done lightly and look where it left Herod! By trying to please others He ended up doing something he didn't really want to do and in the end it haunted him. Why else would he be worried that John the Baptist had come back to life! Not the first assumption most people might spring to.

In the end his words bound him. Something harmlessly said had lasting consequences.

God help me to see that I need to please you and not people. When I please you, the consequence will be that I will please others, because you will honour my loyalty. Thank you.

Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment